San Fernando, La Union | Make it a Destination
- Posted by Potpot
- 7774 Views
- March 13th, 2014
- in Destinations, Philippines
- One Comment
For the longest time, San Fernando City in La Union has been struggling to break free from being just an “oh-by-the-way” stopover into becoming a real destination. Travelers to Vigan and Laoag often miss this equally beautiful place in their desire to make it farther up north the quickest time possible. San Fernando is a progressive city and serves as the seat of national agencies in Region 1. It is home to Poro Point Special Economic and Freeport Zone originally occupied as Wallace Air Station of the American Military Base in the Philippines.
San Fernando is just a small city and can be explored in 1 day. Check out the sights and activities to do.
St. William the Hermit Cathedral
|Built in 1773 in honor of St. William the Hermit by Fr. Francisco Romero & Santiago Holarte in baroque architecture.|
|The only 5-star international resort & casino in Region 1.|
The Tomb of Unknown Soldiers
|In honor of unknown Filipino fighters during WWII.|
|Built in 1975 in honor of the Chinese deity MaZu, the indigenous goddess of the sea.|
|It lies on a hill overlooking the City of San Fernando.|
The Ruins of Pindangan Church
|Located in Barrio San Vicente. Built in 1764.|
|Its stone walls & buttresses lie in ruins after massive looting and raiding during Spanish occupation.|
Beaches on the Coastal Side
|There are 11 barangays that lie on the coastal side. Check out their beaches.|
|Famous for their halo-halo, this home turned cafe has become one of San Fernando’s must-tries.|
|Halo-halo de Iloko is San Fernando’s happening place.|
Surfing in San Juan, La Union
|San Juan is the northern boundary of San Fernando & just minutes apart.|
HOW TO GET TO SAN FERNANDO, LA UNION
From Manila (Private Vehicle/Approx 275 KM)
- Take the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX). Exit to Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX).
- In SCTEX, drive straight to the newly opened Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX). This will lead you to the exit in Paniqui Tarlac. As of Dec. 23, 2013 TPLEX terminates in Paniqui but once completed, it will end in Rosario, Pangasinan.
- Take the McArthur Highway passing through Urdaneta in Pangasinan.
- Follow the national highway that leads to La Union. You will drive past Binalonan, Pozorrubio, Sison Junction.
- Take the left road when in Kenon Junction.
- You should pass by the towns of Agoo & Bauang.
From Manila (Commuting of Public Transport/6-7 hours)
- Take the bus from Cubao Terminal to San Fernando, La Union. Bus lines such as Partas, Genesis & Florida regularly ply this route.
- Get off in the downtown proper.
- Take the tricycle to move around San Fernando.
Hello, I am PotpotNumber of Entries : 417
Betwixt and between the arthritic 40 and a horrendous body mass index of positive 30, escapism and yummyeology are my real-life double post-graduate degrees conferred with the highest honors. I lived nearly half of my life in fancy suitcases, jetsetting between reality and fantasy... read more
Comments ( 1 )
[…] From Pangasinan all the way up to Burgos is a sure gustatory ride of the best Ilocano cuisine. In San Fernando City, La Union, travelers take a quick detour into Zandueta Street for one thing — Halo-Halo de […]